Sunday, November 19, 2017

GRATITUDE MONTH--#18: CAMILLA'S CHRISTMAS CACTUS

These are my mom's, Camilla's, Christmas Cactus plants. We inherited them when she moved into the nursing home...a long time ago. (She died in 2007, 10 years ago) I don't know how old they are but likely 15 to 20 years old. I have never moved them to new pots. They just keep on living and I couldn't be more grateful, especially for the way they live!

Simple succulents with 
sections of small green leaves
sitting patiently in their tiny pots of old soil
trusting me to water them 
and the sun to shine
waiting, waiting in silence
staying green throughout the year, 
living on what little they get
then as darkness closes in on the year 
and the days grow short
the season shifts to cold 
and colder and holidays
then...then bright pink buds emerge
exploding like fireworks 
at the ends of the branches
shining their joy all over 
my gray cold fall days
bringing memories of 
Camilla's green thumb, her joy
bringing expectations
 of celebrations to come

Christmas Cactus
I give thanks for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment