Thursday, June 3, 2021

CANCER UPDATE: Scans and good news and daisies!

Hi sweeties, my dear ones,

I have had trouble writing a health update of late. As soon as I start to write, I get distracted and by the time I get back, I'm in a whole different place and need to start over. So I'm going to try in one sitting to give you an update as short as possible. (and that did not happen--it is now several days later already.)

Here is a "quick" summary of the last month or so.

April 26--after going to the ER I was diagnosed with cellulitis and put on 10 days of antibiotics. My main symptom was a swollen breast...with some pain but no fever or sickness. Initially the fluid and swelling in the breast went down.

May 7--In June of 2020, when I was being diagnosed with breast cancer they also saw a couple of nodules on my lung. So May 7th, I had a follow up Chest CT Scan. The nodules were "stable" so that was good but the radiologist some somthing "else" on my thoracic spine. They wondered if it might be cancer so they scheduled an MRI.

Tuesday, May 18--I was awakened at 5am with pain under my left arm and some in my breast. The fluid and swelling had gone up again. So I called my oncology nurse for help. She did 2 things--upgraded my virtual appointment to an in person appointment with my nurse practitioner and she referred me to a lymphedema therapist. I was so grateful I had called.

Wednesday, May 19--I had my blood levels checked. All were good. No indication there of any infection. All good news!

Thursday, May 20--I saw the nurse practiioner. After examing me, he said quite empahtically "I am quite sure this all from your surgery and radiation. sometimes people get the fluid even 3 years later." but just to be sure, he set me up with a diagnostic mammogram. I went home encouraged that someone (besides me) had examined me and concluded that my experience was within the normal range of experience. This was good news to me! 

Friday May 21--8:30 am. I had the MRI on my spine....they were looking for what they thought might be a cancer spot that had showed up in the previous CT scan. They found no evidence of cancer, just an old injury which made sense since I had fallen on the steps last july and landed on my tail bone. So nothing new to worry about there. GOOD NEWS!

Friday, May 21--1:15 pm I had my initial session with the lymphedema therapist. she gave me massage on my lymph nodes and exericises to do to help my lymph nodes keep working better.  I think it is helping some. I'm not good at regular exercise but I'm motivated. It is good news that I have something to do to help myself that isn't taking more drugs. YAY!

Massage: In addition, I am having a weekly massage with Janet Midthun. Cooincidentally she also knows how to do the lymphedema work and I think that helps me too. So grateful for Janet and her availability to me! more good news.

Chiropractor: I also see the chiropractor every 2 weeks to keep my spine aligned and neck too.

THURSDAY, MAY 27TH--AN ANNIVERSARY--last year on this day I found a lump in my breast, just two days after George Flloyd's murder. What a year! I'm happy to still be in it! still here!

May 27--  I had my diagnositc mammogram. It was 98% possitive. the radialogist was 98% sure that the little spot they did find was nothing but to be sure he scheduled me for a needle biopsy. Sigh! Another test and more looking for cancer.

June 1st--11am, I had my needle biopsy. The nurses and the radiologist were super nice to me and it only took a half hour! In spite of the test, this was a good day for me! I was so grateful for the people who keep doing this work and do it well.

June 2nd--2 pm, a nurse at the Breast Center called to tell me that my test results were in. NO CANCER! So I asked her about the fluid in my breast and she said it might take months for it to go away. Okay...good to have that clarified again. While I was still talking to her, Goran, the nurse practioner called to tell me the good news too. I got a kick out of how they both called me immediately after getting the report. Goran, said all that showed was dense breast tissue with some bits of calcification. He said I should keep doing the lymphedema and massage and that both of those things would help. GOOD NEWS! I shed some tears of gratitude and relief. Nothing new to worry about! 

Xeloda....June 25 is my last scheduled dose of this chemotherapy pill. Hopefully my oncologist doesn't have anything else to give me. My body and my heart are so ready to be done with chemo. Whew!

Daisies and songs...haha..this is basically an excuse to share my daisies with you. One of my deep joys in life has been daisies, their simplicity and their stunning beauty. Daisies are good news too, along with the fact that I had my lovely Morningstar Singers over on Tuesday night for our first in-person singing in over a year! Good news indeed!

It's been a long taxing year. Please keep praying that my neuropathy heals. I am ready to get my life back, even if it is a different life than before.

Thank you all for your deep support of me over this last year, for listening to me ramble, for allowing me to not always be the cancer girl, for loving me as I am.

I am so grateful and wouldn't have made it through the year without you.

Love you big,
You are good news!
Jules

17 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all of your good news! Praying for continued healing of both your body and spirit as you move beyond your year of cancer treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!!! Best news, sending lots of hugs and looking forward to singing with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much good news. Glad you are getting all the support your body and soul needs. YOU ARE REMARKABLE in your ongoing joy and support of others, even in your own challenging moments. LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much good news. Glad you are getting all the support your body and soul needs. YOU ARE REMARKABLE in your ongoing joy and support of others, even in your own challenging moments. LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much good news. Glad you are getting all the support your body and soul needs. YOU ARE REMARKABLE in your ongoing joy and support of others, even in your own challenging moments. LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful news! You have been such a fighter! Keep healing! Barb Wasmoen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an AWESOME God of healing we have! Tears of joy and thankfulness of the BEST kind to shed! You have persevered and God has walked by your side, carried you when needed, and enlightened your doctors and support staff. Praise God for your family and friends too as they uplifted you in prayer. God Is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continues prayers! Enjoy the blessings of this new year! You did amazing getting through all you had to go through this last year. We are thankful 🌼

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy at hearing all of this good news! May the healing continue apace and may your new normal arrive sooner than soon. Your daisies are, like you, lovely and abundant.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jules, I am celebrating your good news with you! Yay!! Sorry I missed the sing at your house, but that must have been wonderful energy to wrap yourself in. I should make the next. More good wishes your way!
    Lot of love and healing,
    Carole Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the good work. We are keeping our fingers crossed for your continued progress. Bill and Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of good news! Love your rambling gift of telling your story, Jules. You have persevered much and reached out for help and support to get you through. Many daisies to celebrate all these milestones!

    ReplyDelete