Thursday, August 6, 2020

Chemo #4: The Healing Prayers Continue

Last week was supposed to be my off-week, my between week, with time to recover from my last chemo and focus on other things but alas it was not to be. I got a second bladder infection that lasted through the week as the docs tried to find the right antibiotic for me. I finally got some Bactrim on Friday afternoon and was on the mend quickly after that. I am fine now, though the yeast rash persists. 

Then yesterday, August 5th, something cool happened. I had my last AC Chemo treatment! This is a good thing! (A for Adriamycin and C for Cyclophosphamide).  As usual, on the day of chemo treatment, I felt pretty good. I was finally feeling energetic and well on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. The treatment itself is not painful and I haven’t had any nausea issues. The treatment room is quiet and peaceful with nurses tending to their patients. I listen to music on my ear buds; usually Luke playing piano. I do some puzzles and some writing or answering emails and the two hours fly by. It’s weird to sit there and let someone inject toxins it your bloodstream but it’s not painful for me.

And yet I’m thrilled to be done with AC! Over the course 8 weeks it has worn me down. Each time, I have moved to a more vulnerable place. For me the side effects of AC were mostly fatigue and a compromised immune system. It’s weird though, I was expecting colds and flu and COVID-19. What I’ve had to deal with instead is constipation, bloating, a yeast infection, a bladder infection and more recently a sun rash as AC makes your skin really sensitive. In addition, I’ve had some unusual soreness on the pads of my feet and after walking barefoot much of my life, this has been very strange. With each physical annoyance, I’m learning again how very clever our bodies are at taking care of themselves and healing themselves, often when we are not even aware, that is, until that ability is taken away. And with each physical annoyance, I am learning to respect how vulnerable I am right now. I just need to leave room in my schedule for lots of rest between activity. Oh and I did lose my hair after Chemo Treatment #2. So I’m experimenting with varying headwear now.

I forgot to say, I saw my oncologist on Monday. She agreed with me that the tumor has begun to respond to the treatment and is shrinking. (they have not done another scan yet though) This is good news as I still have 3 months of treatment left to go.

I appreciate all the prayers and songs and love that are helping me to stay in the game and helping that tumor to shrink…sooooo grateful! Every prayer, every song, every kindness adds to the healing.

So now I get two weeks and then we start the Taxol treatment which be weekly for 12 weeks. That will be another learning curve, easier in some ways, harder in others. Theoretically, if all goes according to plan, Election Day is November 3rd and the next day, November 4th, will be my last chemotherapy treatment so I’m praying for good results in both cases and I’m asking you to keep praying with me for both. Please pray with me!

Oh Holy One, work your healing love, life and grace in us. Give us courage for what needs to be done to be part of that healing. Give us wisdom and practical insight that we might know how to work together, how to restore peace in our hearts, how to help others, how to do our own work. Help us to rest when needed, to let ourselves be filled with hope that we might wake ready to love through another day. Fill us with a forgiving spirit that the hard times may become compost for growth and peace instead of barriers. Protect us from being overwhelmed by loneliness and despair during this time of distancing and division. Instead fill us with the truth that we are never alone, ever. You are the source of all life and love. We place our hope in you always. Amen

 

Blessings on your days,

Jules

8/6/2020


1 comment:

  1. The tumor is shrinking... praises be! Reason to stay patient and continue to ENDURE this mess of many little things that add up to feeling ever more vulnerable. Losing your hair is such a drag, but I hope you come up with some eye-catching head wraps that make you feel elegant and regal. (So thankful that you haven't gotten COVID19 as you were predicting!)

    ReplyDelete