Saturday, August 15, 2020

Is the Storm Passing Over?


Saturday Morning Sunrise


Friday Night Storm

These two photos were taken from my hospital room at Southdale 12 hours apart, on my second night here. I was unable to take other pictures but inbetween those two photos, my window showed me quite a storm with lightning and rain and thunder and some sun glow even. This morning as I woke the words of this old spiritual came to me, "The Storm is passing over, the storm is passing over, the storm is passing over, alleluia." So last night's storm has passed and I hope that my personal little health storm has passed as well. 

Wednesday, August 5th, I had my last(4th) AC Chemo treatment. I knew that the cumulative effect could make the days following harder then my other treatments. I was hopeful when Thursday, August 6th was a fabulous day for me. Then Friday, I started crashing, feeling exhausted. Saturday, Sunday and Monday were brutal days. Constipation, diarrhea, excessive hiccuping and burping, gas, poor appetite and neuropathy (fingertip pain) are among the side effects I was experiencing. I did slowly improve and thought I was going to be okay. But I wasn't. Wednesday was a hard day and Thursday I was still struggling. Thursday afternoon/evening, after another hard day, it was clear I had a fever and chills. We called the nurse and were told I needed to go in to the ER and be checked out. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with neutropenia, an extreme low white blood count. They started me on IV antibiotics right away and then ran tests to look for cause. I was admitted late that night to Southdale Hospital. 

AC Chemo is known for causing the white count to dip but I guess I dipped a bit too low. As of this writing, they didn't find any cause. No COVID and no known bacteria, that I have heard yet. Evenso, my white blood count needs to be at a safe level for them to send me home. I am hoping that happens today. I am feeling much better. My diet has improved. My overall feeling is peaceful now. I hoping my storm has passed and I can go home and rest with ease again. I am hoping today is that day, the day my white blood count is high enough to go home. Cross your fingers.

Meantime, we've got others storms brewing in our world. So while we both wait, perhaps you'd like to listen to the song: The STORM is PASSING OVER. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment