Tuesday, October 28, 2014

THE WORLD OF SOUND RETURNS

October 28,2014

"THE EAR IS AT THE CENTER OF H-EAR-T FOR A GOOD REASON. WE NEED OUR EARS TO WORK WELL FOR OUR HEART TO BE CONNECTED"--jules, 2014

Three weeks ago I swallowed my pride and opened myself up the world of sound again. I have no idea what damaged my hearing, nor when it happened only that over the last 5 to 10 years, my hearing has been getting worse. Five years ago, when I checked my hearing, the loss was borderline for a hearing aid. I chose to not proceed at that time. Then this year, I got tired of not hearing and pretending i knew what everyone one was saying. So three weeks ago, I got my hearing aids and they are wonderful!

I gained so much more than just a few lost conversations.
I gained a whole world of sound and it is glorious.

Sounds that came back:
clocks ticking
phone keys beeping
my soup boiling from the next room
the woman in my peer group praying
my son telling me about his wonderful life
the softer tones in the music
all the voices in my choir at once
conversations in noisy restaurants
people breathing
water splashing
infinite sounds of the city
and silence is sweeter too

I've worn my hearing aids all day, every day in the last 21 days, give or take a few hours here and there for my ears to breathe. (I also take them out at night) They are comfortable. Sometimes I forget they are there. You can't see them if you don't know to look. My audiologist is fabulous and great at helping me program them just right for me. And they cost me less than $3000 for both of them.

So if you are tired of missing out on the world of sound, I invite you to join me.

Listening is work and joy that I will never tire of.

No comments:

Post a Comment