Sunday, April 26, 2020

Gratitude for the Little Ones: Grounding in Grandparenting

April 25, 2020 (Still social distancing)

I've been a grandmother for five years now. We have three grandchildren, 5, 4 3/4, 22months. I (along with my sweet husband) have done a significant amount of care for these grandchildren. Until last fall, we had the two older ones over at our house every Friday, all day. As a result, our grandchildren are among the people we call our best buddies. We miss them terribly during this quarantine. We have gotten to see them a few times at a safe distance but gone are the group cuddles and giggles on the couch or our bed.

Drawing with Markers by Solveig, age 5
So it was doubly sweet a couple days ago, when we received a little artwork from each of them. Solveig's came in the mail. She drew this picture, in her current Solveig style.On the other side, her parents had helped her write a note including some important questions: "Have Grandma and Grandpa ever cut paper?"  "Have they ever drawn a funny pattern?"  I can't tell you the last time I got a letter in the mail. What a sweet gift!

watercolor by Wendell, age 4 1/2
On the same day, Wendell and his little sister, Sophie, came by to play on our playground for a little while. The first thing Wendell said, "Grandma Jules, I have present for you." Indeed, he had even made a special envelope for these two watercolor paintings...the blue one is Wendell's and the other more minimalist one is Sophie's. Again, it touched my grandma heart deeply.

watercolor by Sophie, age 22 months
Thank you Solveig, Wendell and Sophie for being in my world! and thank you Jacob, Beth, Karl and Erica for being such wonderful parents, for sharing them with us and teaching them love and kindness.

In the midst of this social distancing, these are gifts I will be hanging on to, sinking my roots deep into the love that transcends all time and space. These are gifts that help me remember to be grateful. What a lucky mother, grandmother, spouse I am!

Sometimes the simple things are what grow our deepest roots! Sometimes the little ones save us from our overthought, overworked adult lives. In this case, I'm going to say, LOVE WINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment