Sunday, August 9, 2009

Transfiguration, Transition, and Transformation

Greetings to all of you from deep within the One,

I've been away from my blog, concentrating instead on my facebook page for the last month and half as I prepared for, then traveled to and returned from a two-week tour in the Umbrian province of Italy. I traveled with Umbrian Serenades, an a capella chamber choir that sang concerts in cathedrals in old medieval towns like Assisi.

Our home base was in Spoleto, an old medieval town built in part by the Romans thousands of years ago.There is an aquaduct that still brings fresh, clean, delicious water from Monteluco, the holy mountian next door. Wow! Also on the mountain is a very special place aptly called "The Sacred Forest." St. Francis of Assisi spent time there living in caves and meditating. There is still a Fransican monastery there. Walking into the Sacred Forest, it easy to imaginel how St. Francis might have found God and seen visions in that place. It feels magical. During the trip, I was fortunate enough to visit this place twice. Both times I was there, I felt as if I had gone up the mountain with Jesus to experience the transfiguration. In my story Moses and Elijah would replaced with the trees and other life in the woods. The trees even glow with an extraordinary hue of love and light. I came to understand the mystery and the majesty and the abundant love of God just a little bit better. I came to know my own purpose a little bit better. It was such a great feeling that it was easy to wish we could just stay there. But you usually when you go up a mountain, you have to also come down. A few days after my second and last visit to that holy place, I was back here in Minneapolis trying to figure out how to buy groceries and go to work.

I don't think anything in life is more disconcerting than change...the transition from one activity, from one state of being or one paradigm to another. It is even more difficult when we find that while we were away, we were changed. So now not only have my circumstances changed but i have too. I have worked nearly every dya for two weeks now on adjusting my paradigm to fit the new me in the old location, the old jobs and the old roles. I've come down off the mountain carrying my newly transfigured self. I've also carried my new understanding of God with me. Transition is great, exciting, and a bit disconcerting. Where do we put this new luggage we brought home with us? where do we put these new visions and callings and roles?

Fortunately for me, God's activity is always at work. Even as I stumble sleepily back into my old life here, God is busy tranforming my heart and my mind in ways that make it possible for me to bring that tranfiguration experience into my life. I have a feeling that the transformation will be ongoing as I continue to discover all that life has to offer and become more clear about my journey. One thing is certain for me now. The Great Spirit of Love and Community, of Creation and LIfe, will be with me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment