Monday, August 17, 2009

Beautiful Death, Breathtaking Life

August 15, 2009
Lake Louise State Park


Plain, dirty, quiet river
With green algae scum floating on top
Silent forest encroaching your banks
How is it you give me such solace?
You are nothing but another little water way
Winding your way through farmland and and state park
Yet you carry such reverence for the circle of life
Within you, around you and over you
Life continues its everlasting cycle birth, death and rebirth
Each stroke of my paddle seems as if I am treading on sacred ground
I make every effort to keep silence
As if tiptoeing over the water's surface
The lush vegetation is a tangle of trees,
Brush, vines and tangles of birds nest
But it is not only a place full of life but one rife with death
Trees in a various stages of dying
Are standing naked or leaning over or fallen
What strikes me is the stunningly beauty that each tree dies with
All the time lending its intricate lattice to the design of the woods
Its body providing a framework
And sustenance for the next seedlings to grow
Vines climb and flowers grow while birds gain fresh places to perch
This is another Eden
A place where all who live are fed and nourished
A place where all who die are cherished and appreciated
Where the entire circle of life provides breathtaking beauty
As I paddle away, leaving my green cathedral behind
May I learn new respect for the aging and dying process
And new joy in all of life's stages

No comments:

Post a Comment