Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Good Fortune & Challenging Things (update from March 18, 2021)

March 18, 2021—Good Fortune and Challenging things (I realize I am posting this 2 weeks later but I thought instead of rewriting or starting over I would just share this with you. I will write a new update soon and post it faster)

 Okay so I need to catch you up… 

Good fortune… 

  • About a week and a half ago, we bought 30 eggs, so far we’ve had 28 double yoked eggs out of that batch. If you’re wondering the source, they are bulk eggs we bought at our local food co-op. Some say double-yoked eggs mean good luck but I’ve never in my life seen so many show up in a row. Good fortune? Maybe. 
  • I made it through my first two weeks of taking Xeloda, my new chemotherapy pill, without too many side effects. Mostly, I’ve just been more tired, got a little winded walking sometimes. And I’ve been more emotional so Pete and I have nicknamed them the crying pills. Not all bad emotions, just close to that tender center. 
  • And now I’m on my 7 days off before my next round of Xeloda. I got a massage from my favorite person on Monday, my first massage in about a year. It was fantastic and of course I cried a little, because I was so grateful. I’ll be going back soon. Later on Monday, after being approved by my oncologist, I got my first Pfizer vaccine. It is now Thursday and all I’ve experienced from that is a temporarily sore arm. Otherwise I’m fine. 
  • In addition, Pete and I, along with three others, hosted The Dragonfly Project 19th Annual Celebration and Remembrance Event on Zoom, our first-ever virtual event. It was quite a learning experience. We were challenged to find ways to do things like a candle-lighting ceremony on the screen. It went better than we expected. We had 60-90 people watching live and now others can watch it online. Whew! I’m grateful we pulled it off. 
  • On Saturday after the event Pete & I went for a walk at Zodiak Park. When we got there, we saw an eagle on the ice in the middle of the pond. What a treat! On our way home we stopped to get Thai food and decided to stay and eat there. There was only one other family there and the food was delicious. We were so grateful to have our first meal at a restaurant in over a year. We felt a little euphoric after finishing our event and having all this good fortune! 

 Challenging Things...

  • Some unfortunate side effects...On Saturday, March 13th, I wore my tennis shoes for our walk at Zodiak Park. They were so comfortable I decided to wear them on Sunday as well. I got blisters. Blisters on the hands and feet are symptoms of “hand/foot syndrome” which is a side effect of Xeloda. When I mentioned my blisters and that my hands were now feeling dry and uncomfortable during our talk with the oncologist today, she said it was likely that I already am starting to have hand/foot syndrome. She will keep me at the lower dosage that she started me on. Sigh! Unfortunately this does not help my neuropathy in my feet at all. I confess I lost my cool for awhile. I am tired of having numb feet. And I really don’t want more to happen to them. Sometimes life just stinks. And I have 5 more rounds or 14 more weeks before this is all over and even longer before my body recovers from everything. Sigh. More prayers for healing please! 

  •  A new garage coming soon to our property. We’ve been planning since last year and now it is going to be real. Saturday, March 20, we are emptying the garage. Saturday, March 27, we will begin tearing it down. Then when the frost is gone from the ground the cement work will begin. We are sharing work with our contractor. 

  •  We need a new furnace…enough said! As if building a new garage is not enough, we now need a new furnace! Yes, really!
I"ll catch you up with more soon.

Blessings on your spring!
Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment