Monday, March 1, 2021

CANCER TREATMENT PHASE #4: PREVENTION plus some rambling about life



So--this package came in the mail on Friday, all the way from Memphis, TN. why Memphis? Because only certain pharmacies are allowed to make the drug. And what is in this ominous looking package? Xeloda. It is a chemotherapy in pill form. Xeloda is recommended as a follow up to help prevent recurrence in the particular kind of breast cancer I had which was invasive ductal carcinoma, triple negative. I will take it daily for 2 weeks then get a week off for 6 cycles over the course of 18 weeks. I began taking them Saturday, February 27th. If I manage to take it to the end of all the cycles, June 25th will be my last dose. I believe it is a good choice but I am nervous about the outcome, meaning the side effects. Although my doctor assures me this is "a lot milder" than the chemotherapy i had last year, there is a long list of possible side effects including numb feet which I already have. I truly don't want to have more taken away from my feet. So this is mainly a plea for more prayers of healing and protection. in particular, I pray for healing of my numb feet and fingertips. It can also deplete my immune system a bit and I am wondering if I will ever be able to get a COVID vaccine. I'm feeling rather tender as i enter this new phase of treatment. 

Meantime my energy, for the moment, has returned. I have been walking almost daily with Pete. Yesterday we walked down by the Mississippi and enjoyed watching the ice floating down. We've been busily and happily working on hosting the 19th Annual Dragonfly Celebration via Zoom from our house (March 13th). So we're stretching our brains and creativity to make that happen. There always seems to be something to do. I am grateful to have good work to do from home during this time, including helping teach others to be spiritual directors through distance learning via Tending the Holy program at Christos Center for Spiritual Formation. All of it good work. I hope my energy remains and that I don't have to go back to laying on the couch during this new phase. So prayers for energy as well.

We are not seeing our children and grandchildren as much now. Parts of Jacob's and Karl's families have returned to in-person school. It's an exciting and yet vulnerable time for them and for us. We continue to be very careful with each other. Luke is not as vulnerable but added an extra job, teaching a small group of high school students computer programming online. So everyone's life is full. even so we are grateful for the contact and connections we have with them. Solveig, in kindgergarten called us after school 4 times last week on Google Duo for some very animated video chatting. And we met Karl's kids outside a couple of times for some playing in the snow. This is life in the time of the pandemic. Even, Sophie, age 2/12, is used to wearing a mask.

I can't end without giving thanks again to all of you, for your support, your friendship, your prayers/wishes/songs. I pray that in your own times of suffering, you will know there is this deep treasure of friendship and love to lean on, if we just allow ourselves to do it.

sending you love,
Jules


No comments:

Post a Comment