Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The "Christmas Star"--Solstice 2020

 So this year's Solstice had a very special astronomical event---on solstice, Saturn and Jupiter crossed paths in the night sky creating the illusion of a big star which was affectionately called "the Christmas Star." It is believed that what the wise men saw was a similar convergence of planets, hence the nickname. The last time these two planets crossed paths in our night sky was 800 years ago so I really wanted to see this event. 

Like many other things in 2020, this didn't come out great for us. For the last 2 weeks, no matter how the day started, the evenings have been cloudy right at the time the two planets would be visible until last night. They had already crossed path and had separated again but at least we could see them. So Pete and I drove up to cemetery hill for a better view. It was worth it. I finally saw them! and I got a couple of photos that, if not great, at least show the event. 

I wonder if the wisemen ever lost track of the "star" due to cloud nights. Or was it just easy for them. And did they travel only at night so they could follow it better? It's interesting to me that for many, many years, people used the stars to find their direction. And even I, when I was growing up in Madagascar, used to lie on the ground at night with friends and watch the movements of the stars and planets. And now, we don't do that much anymore. I miss that simpler time. I miss being able to see the stars move. I miss wishing upon the stars.

Anyway, here are my photos. You might have to click on them to enlarge. If you look on the internet, you can find much better ones but I thought I'd share here anyway. I am wishing on this event a chance for a better and healthier year for everyone next year. Here's to 2021 and finding a way to control the chaos and the pandemic!

Blessings on you!

Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment