Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Mom's Other Legacy

When Camilla, my mother, moved to assisted living and then the nursing home, I took her remaining house plants to my home. Among these were two Christmas cactuses. Not wanting to disturb them, I left them in their original containers and just watered them. I don’t know exactly what year this was but it is likely 15 years ago. Mom died in 2007, 13 years, ago. And here they are, her two Christmas cactuses, still in their original containers, never having been repotted. Here they are still blooming every year, twice a year, for 15 years plus all the years that she had them. They are part of mom’s legacy and gift to me. These sweet little house plants whisper each year, “Don’t give up! Just let yourself bloom and grow! It will be enough.”

The other plants I inherited from mom were her African Violets. As they aged, I took their leaves, as mom always had and put them in soil. After 15 years I have her African Violet great  or great-great grandchildren! And they also bloom at this time of year, right alongside the Christmas cactus. Naturally this is a coincidence but for me, it is a full on season of reminding me of all the gifts Mom gave me. 

Her legacy included tending quite a number of  houseplants, knowing that these would brighten her world through the year, no matter what was happening. Like catus, the violets keep reminding me that blooming is possible. I love that they both blossom during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays and as the dark days approach. It doesn’t make sense but for some reason they find the dark days just the perfect time to bloom.

I am so grateful to my mother for teaching me about the houseplants.  What a legacy! She was right. They bring a lot of joy into the house, especially as the weather turns cold and the days get short. This room with the most houseplants, is my favorite room in the house. How lucky I am to get to sit here and eat my meals! May their green energy and Mom's sweet legacy continue to bloom for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment