Monday, February 8, 2016

a beach sabbath

(In Feburary, 2016 Pete & I spent 8 days on vacation in Ixtapa, Mexico. 
This is a reflection of that experience)

a beach sabbath

sitting on the beach
the angle of the afternoon sun
reveals stardust in the sand
tiny bits of bright shiny stars beneath my feet
and on the surface of the sea too
tiny bits of stars reflect back the light
the earth is breathing
a slight ocean breeze running through our lungs
teasing our hair, gently caressing our skin
the rhythm of the waves crashing 
echoes the heartbeat
i breathe deeply,
feeling even my fingertips relax
my main appointment of the day 
is to show up for the sunset
to sit up then and bear witness 
to the nearly unbearable beauty
of each day as it comes to a close
this is vacation
this is sabbath
this is rest, renewal down to the deepest molecule of my heart

it took some time to get to this moment
the first day I was still reading, checking emails
trying to catch up on even fun activities
by day three i was staring more and more 
at sand, the sea, the sky
an abashed, shameless staring
I can't and don't look away
I forgot my books, my list
I have no place to be, 
no need to be anywhere else
I don't know what we will do next
and it doesn't matter

by day six, that's today,
I have left most of my "activities" 
in our hotel room
my reading list can wait
the internet at the hotel stops working
almost as if the universe senses
our complete surrender

now sitting on the beach
the sand lures me with its patterns
and then the sparkling stardust there
catches my eye and then my heart
while i have forgotten the clock 
and the computer
i have remembered my connection to the universe
i have remembered my heartbeat
i have remembered the earth, the sun, the air and warmth
I am lost and found in this moment
connected once again to my soul



No comments:

Post a Comment