Thursday, April 3, 2014

Longing to LIghten the Load

Journal entry  February 21, 2014
considering shedding...

growing up a missionary kid in a third world country,
I could count my possessions easily
3 pairs of shorts, 5 blouses
1 pair of shoes
a swimsuit
2 dresses to wear on Sundays
a sweater
a hat
my own Bible
my own journal
a couple silver bracelets

time was not wasted wanting more
nor managing my possessions save for laundry day
time was spent wondering, visiting friends,
climbing trees and mountains
bare feet on the ground
listening, watching
this is where I used to live

Grandpa's letters
Mom's journals
Uncle Kenneth's family tree
Han's boyhood, his whole life
souvenirs of my life in Madagascar
bits of the people I've lost
pieces of the places I've left behind
mementos and scraps I've written.
old reports from committees I've served
mixed in with leftover crayons
parts from toys long abandoned
junk overflows
lives in the dark corners of my basement
multiplies on flat surfaces everywhere
this is where I live now

feather light
lifted up on spirit's breath
like being a hole in the flute
music comes through
love stretching arms and hands
life wide open
hearts in flight
this is how i long to live


No comments:

Post a Comment